Standing seam metal roofs are far superior than any other roofing product out there. It is almost unfair to compare the metal roof with other materials and methods. For example, architectural shingles will wear down within 20 to 30 years. Metal roofs can go 50 to 70 years or more (2 to 3 times longer than asphalt shingles). Therefore the cost benefit of a standing seam roof is justified at 2 -3 times the cost of a shingle roof.
Benefits to a Standing Seam Roof:
- unexposed seams make for less chance of moisture to seep below the roof line
- energy efficient – metal roofing will allow inside of a home to be cooler in summer than asphalt shingles
- metal roofing is 100% recyclable – whereas asphalt shingles are often destined for landfills by the metric ton annually
- Return on investment (ROI) favors metal roofing, coming in at 87%, compared to architectural shingles that are between 70% and 80%
- Metal will last longer than asphalt shingles, anywhere from twice to three times as long
- Metal weighs less than asphalt shingles
- And metal is mildew and fire resistant, plus impervious to insects and animals
As always we documented the roofing process through video and images. It took 3 weeks (compared to 1-2 days for shingle install) to install the roof making the case that the roof is another craftsman trade of many in this house build.
One thought on “Standing Seam Metal Roof”